Wednesday, March 28, 2007

When it rains, it pours

I didn't sleep very well last night. I can't imagine why that happened! Aside from the obvious, I have a bad head cold so I was coughing all night. I've been told that stress weakens the immune system, which could be why I keep getting sick. My son has been sick with a stomach bug the past 5 days. He says he feels better today. Thank goodness. I was getting tired of cleaning up vomit.

Okay...so now for the "pouring rain" part. My sister called this morning, crying, to tell me that she had spoken with my step-dad. I braced myself for the worst. She went on to say that my mom's dog had passed away in her sleep. My step-dad had found her this morning. Must have died in her sleep. She had a heart condition and we knew that she wasn't well. She was taking steroids and heart medication. It's just sad. We've decided not to tell my mother. It will be a nice surprise for her when she gets to heaven and Nicky is waiting for her.

It's odd how grief comes in waves. I can go several hours without crying, and then suddenly...whoosh. There it is. That's when the sobbing starts. My little sister spoke with a social worker at hospice last night and she told her that it's okay to cry whenever she feels like it. Keeping it in is not a good idea. I just don't like people seeing me cry. But lately, I've been crying a lot. I think I'm crying more often than not. At this rate, my eyes are going to be swollen shut before the week is over! I've given up on makeup. It's too much work and it doesn't stay on anyway.

Ken says I should end each post on a "high note." Funny guy. So...here's a joke that was told to me by a new friend that I made in my support group.

Why are pirates so fantastic? Because they just AAAARRRRRRRRHHHHHH!!!!! (Get it?)

1 comment:

Queen Elaine said...

Mimi, how sad about the dog! I think you're very smart not to tell your mum!

Why couldn't the 13 year old go in to see the pirate movie?

Because it was rated Arrrhhhhhggg
:)