Thursday, April 5, 2007

Back in the swing of things

Yesterday was my mother's funeral. We had a church service and then went to the chapel at the cemetery. I was pleased to see so many people at the service. The church was just about full. I was also pleased to see how many flowers we received. My mom would have REALLY enjoyed all of the flowers. Gardening was one of her greatest joys in life. I handled the funeral better than I thought I would. I cried quite a bit, but I didn't completely break down like I thought I would. I think I'm getting tired of crying all the time. Either that, or I've run out of tears. I think I hugged about 50 people yesterday. And for those of you that know me, you know that I'm not a hugger. I was surprised to see some of the people that came to the service, like a co-worker of my mom's from many years ago. There were also some people that I thought would be there, but weren't.

And now it's the day after the funeral, and I've been forced to get back into the swing of things. My husband went to work, and I had to take my son to preschool. I went shopping for a few things, then assisted with the Easter party at my son's school. My life will continue because I have obligations and responsibilities. There are people that depend on me and I can't let them down.

4 comments:

Amber said...

We've all been thinking about you. That's good you're starting back into your normal routine. Kids don't let us fall behind ;) We are looking forward to seeing you guys soon.

Jenette said...

Meems. That's all. Life does go on, as hard as it seems. take one breath in, let one breath out. Time will pass, and eventually, it won't hurt with such fierceness.

KathyI said...

I've been thinking about you a lot. I hope you are coping well. I know others depend on you, but please make sure that you take time to TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!!

Queen Elaine said...

That getting back into "the swing of things" is so hard Mimi, like life is supposed to just go on as normal. Oprah calls it a "new normal".

You know we are all here for you to adjust to your new normal. Take it a day at a time sweetie!

Love, Elaine