Sunday, April 1, 2007

Sad

I knew that this day would come, but I had no idea how badly it would hurt. My mom passed away very early this morning, around 1AM. Family and friends had been with her almost the entire day, but she died shortly after my step-dad left. I have to wonder if she did that on purpose, to spare us the pain of seeing her die. I wish that I had been there though. The hospice staff called us and said that they believed she was "actively dying." About 13 of us raced to get there, but we were all too late. I sat with her for a long time after she was gone. I felt an odd calmness in the room that I hadn't felt before last night. When I looked at her face, I didn't recognize her. She wasn't my mom anymore.

I pray that God will give us the strength to get through this time. It's more difficult than I ever dreamed possible.

3 comments:

KathyI said...

I am so sorry Mimi! My heart goes out to you. I will be praying daily for you and your family. I'm sure it's hard to find comfort right now, but I'm sure your mom is very comfortable in heaven (with her dog). You are a wonderful daughter, and you and your mom were really blessed to have each other for all of these years. Please try to take it easy, and let me know if I can help you out in any way!! Love ya, Kathy I.

Unknown said...

Mimi .. I am so sorry .. Your mom is free of all pain and hurt in heaven with her little dog who I am sure greeted her with a big wet kiss .. Praying for you .. Wendy

Cára said...

Mimi,
Hey it is Cara from the online group. Thank you for sharing your most inner thoughts on your mom. I want you to know that you & your family are in my thoughts and prayers during this extremly difficult time.
Please keep me updated on how you are are coping and doing.
Love from the Upper West Side of NYC,
Cara